Radcliffe: Any Requests

Discussion related to Ooberman and side-projects.

Moderator: Chantal

What Acoustic Track Should We Definitely Do on Mark Radcliffe?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:31 am

Crashing Ellipticals
36%
Shorley Wall
9%
Far Far Away
No votes
Hand that Gets Burnt
27%
Alone at Last
No votes
Blossoms Falling
18%
Carried Away
No votes
The Beauty of Your Soul
No votes
Roll Me in Cotton
9%
Other (say in a post)
No votes

Total votes: 11

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:47 pm

*deletes my anti-Mark Radcliffe-the-berk rant*

Didn't see Too Many Memories coming. What's the difference between Too Many Memories and The Things I Have Lost? Are they the same song? But Shorely Wall. It's a great song, but an acoustic Hand That Gets Burnt would have been magic. The Crashing Ellipticals was friggin ace. I didn't like the reverb, didn't really work, but it was still good.

barra
Buster

Post by barra » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:21 am

Essentially the same song I think. But The Things I Have Lost goes a bit mental towards the end, which takes a bit of the magic away I think. Too Many Memories is infinitely better, and a brilliant choice to play.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Dan Pop
Lavender Blue

Post by Dan Pop » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:49 pm

hello.. a bit burnt out here from all the nerves of doing the acoustic thing last night. thanks for your input, Ash's suggestion that we highlight Sophia's voice definitely contributed to digging out Too Many Memories. Btw it's NOT the same song as The Things I Have Lost - because MCA/Universal Publishing own The Things I Have Lost and so if we'd played *that* they would get the broadcast royalties instead of us (might be £10 or more!).

ahem

We didn't do Hand that Gets Burnt because we felt that we didn't have enough rehearsal time to get it right, whereas TMM sounded good on the first runthrough so we knew it was a safe bet.

Crashing Ellipticals was a bitch in rehearsals and we nearly dropped it, but with a bit of extra work it came good in the end, i think.

phew, i'm knackered

barra
Buster

Post by barra » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:38 pm

I was interested/concerned to find out how Crashing Ellipticals would sound acoustic, it didn't seem that well suited to be done acoustically I didn't think.
BUT, I agree that it definitely came good in the end. I thought it sounded excellent and Sophia's voice on it was great. It would definitely have made me investigate the band if I hadn't heard much of your stuff, and I guess that was the aim.

And you didn't sound nervous at all.

Congratulations!

Wayne
Beany Bean

Post by Wayne » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:16 pm

Agree. Elipticals could have been a disaster acoustis, but it really worked, sounded ace! :lol:

leeree
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by leeree » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:56 pm

It sounded great last night.
Much better than lost. which was pish.

Ooberman + live session = glee
Lost = blergh
hey charlie! hey Chuck!

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:23 pm

bah. missed it. i shall have to wait for the moose to do his thing. what a lovely moose he is.
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:24 pm

barra wrote:Essentially the same song I think. But The Things I Have Lost goes a bit mental towards the end, which takes a bit of the magic away I think. Too Many Memories is infinitely better, and a brilliant choice to play.
i like the "mental" bit. i think it's ace, with all the harmonies and stuff, it sounds like... running through the forest where the magic treehouse is.
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

barra
Buster

Post by barra » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:06 pm

William wrote:
barra wrote:Essentially the same song I think. But The Things I Have Lost goes a bit mental towards the end, which takes a bit of the magic away I think. Too Many Memories is infinitely better, and a brilliant choice to play.
i like the "mental" bit. i think it's ace, with all the harmonies and stuff, it sounds like... running through the forest where the magic treehouse is.
Fair enough. I personally think it works better as a really simple song, and doesn't need all that jizz. I think by the time that's all over you've lost the impact of Sophie's voice and the lyrics, which are amongst the best of any Oob song I think. I understand your point though, I often do like it when songs go a bit bonkers like that- just not in this case for me.

Anyway, like Dan says, they're completely different songs. Wink wink.

barra
Buster

Post by barra » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcl ... ?select=02

Nice specs Dan.
Andy look like a naughty boy.
Sophie does indeed look nicely embroidered. Radcliffe clearly knows his embroidery.

Chantal
Sugar Bum

Post by Chantal » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:33 pm

I want Sophie's necklace!

Thanks for the link to the image gallery barra - I hadn't seen that! :D The one of Cerys and band on the previous page is cool too.

It's weird, before I tuned in to the show on Thursday night I was thinking 'wow, Ooberman in session one night and Cerys the next! He just needs a re-formed Suede on tomorrow night and he'll have all 3 of my fave bands!' and then which song did he open the show with?!? Trash!!! Freaky. I felt like I'd gone back to the late-90s :D

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:00 am

Suede can fuck off. i want a reformed McAlmont and Butler

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:24 am

I liked Suede's image, but not their music.

(apologies for what seems like a pointless post, there was more to it at one point, but I decided to remove it, now I can't delete the message, I can only edit it)

Chantal
Sugar Bum

Post by Chantal » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 am

William wrote:Suede can fuck off. i want a reformed McAlmont and Butler
They don't have to be mutually exclusive! It can be post-Bernard Suede and I'll still be happy - feel free to call me nuts! Though actually I'm looking forward to Brett's solo stuff at the mo, so they don't need to reform quite yet! :wink: :D